Welcome to my life! It's not always simple, crazy or otherwise spectacular, but it's mine and I love it! I use a lot of "!!!" And I'm ok with that! These are just simple musings from a relatively normal girl. Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Month of Milestones and Car Lines

What a month! As mentioned before, we have celebrated my husband's 40th birthday, my daughter's 3rd birthday and will soon celebrate my 32nd birthday. (Yes, that's my real age. I own it.)

Jackson's first day of school was just a short few days ago. Wow. Part of me just can't believe he's old enough for it, but we've been preparing for this for years, so it really should come as no big shock to the system. When I woke him up that morning, he said, "What are we doing today?" I told him, "It's your first day of Kindergarten!" He replied very sleepily, "Yay!" That's a good start. Today on the way to school, he said, "I can't wait to see what this day will be!" Another good beginning.
I've been thrilled to spend part of each morning reading a devotion and hearing his sweet prayers as we head to school. It's a great routine to be in, but I'll be honest, neither of us are enjoying these early morning awakenings!
As quickly as we sent Jackson off to school, Chloe began preschool. She was thrilled! Happy to be back with her friends and be upstairs with the big kids! (she has been downstairs for the last 2 years in the 2 and under classes) She's a very independent little one and sat right down saying "Bye Mommy! Bye Daddy!
She loved sitting down to her own desk like big brother! She was excited for her first day!
And then sweet girl passed out waiting to pick up Jackson in the car line at school! 

Speaking of car lines...wow. I knew it would be bad, but I had little understanding of the true torture that is the car line. You can't really read anything, too much stop and go (well, that is after the endless waiting while the bus riders get loaded and gone and the first car riders get loaded up.) Can't sleep (the honking cars behind me keep waking me up) Can't crochet (don't know how). Can't watch a movie(Chloe has confiscated the DVD player, smart girl).  What's a bored momma to do? 
I've waited in the car line a mere 9 days now (we have a glorious 171 left to go!) and estimate my useless time at somewhere around 3 hours and that's being downright generous (in that it's probably more than that). So all in all, I may spend somewhere near 60 HOURS waiting in the car line. Yes, folks, that's 2 1/2 days SITTING IN THE CAR LINE! I must get a hobby that doesn't require rapt attention and can be done in stop and go traffic. Seems the secret may be to do what I tried today and wait until school is dismissed before I ever leave the house, and then sit at a dead stop in traffic as someone who could care less that you are already late holds the "STOP" sign to your ever growing side of traffic and the "SLOW" sign to the side of traffic that is nonexistent. (I'll be honest, it was good that Chloe was with me today because I chose to pray instead of hang my head out the window screaming at the road workers!) Sorry, back on point. I arrived at the school and pulled almost right to the front! And I actually picked him up with only 7 minutes of waiting! Nevermind that he was one of only 5 children remaining and was crying because he thought I forgot him. I hardly had to wait at all! Ok, so he wasn't really crying and didn't seem to notice that I was later than usual. But the guilt I felt at not arriving until 20 minutes after school dismissal may lead me right back into the throes of 20 minute waits. Stupid need to be my own version of the great school mom! (Don't tell my kids I said the "s" word please.)
So here we are. Into the 2nd full week of school for my kindergartener, 2nd full week of Chloe's 3rd year of life and Matt's 3 week of being "over the hill." Next up? My birthday! And I couldn't be more grateful for the position in life that God has allowed me to slip into. Just wish He'd allow me to slip into the first spot in the car line from time to time!

Needs a Hobby In the Meantime,
Heather



No comments:

Post a Comment